I'm on Etsy!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Ornaments, A Great Chance To Use Up Some Extra Fabric.

A few weeks ago, I went to Lowe's, and I was inspired by their cute little ornaments. So I have finally gotten around to making my own!


Since ornaments are small, you might have some scraps of fabric that you can use. In fact, if you have been sewing for any length of time, I know that you have scraps that you can use. A whole drawer full. I had that green fabric left over from when I tried to make quilted pot holders. It seemed to conduct more heat than it insulted. So I gave that up. It didn't even look cute. It was a disaster all the way around. But I'm sure I learned something from that experience.


I have so much scrap material that I'm going to use it as stuffing. I can't think of anything else to use it for, so it's a great way to recycle. You don't actually need to cut your stuffing into such small pieces. Large pieces turned out to be much easier. As you are cutting your shapes, go ahead and add your new scraps to the stuffing pile.

Can you believe I bought this red, striped fabric without realizing that I would make candy canes out of it? Cut a candy cane shape, leaving 1/4"-1/2" for the seam. I cut mine about 8 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide, but after I sewed it and stuffed it, it is 6 1/2 inches tall and 2 1/4 inches wide. 

Place right sides together and pin a ribbon loop upside down at the top. When you turn it inside out, the loop will be facing up the correct way.



Leave a couple of inches unsewn so you can turn it inside out and stuff it.


 I found that a knitting needle was helpful to get the ornaments turned fully inside out and useful with the candy cane to push the stuffing in.


Sew up the edge by hand.


Below is a failed Christmas tree. This shape didn't work very well for stuffing. I put a tree trunk on there using a brown fabric, but it only complicated things. If those two things hadn't been a problem, it would be a problem that I forgot to put a ribbon at the top, and I forgot to leave a hole to flip it inside out. Another lesson learned.


This is a much better shape. It is 6 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches wide. That shrinks to 4 1/2 by 4 3/4 when sewn and stuffed.


I used a different fabric on the front and the back, which causes extreme cuteness.

Cut a slit into the corners so it doesn't pucker in the armpits when you turn it inside out.


The first ornament takes a while, but the subsequent ones go faster. By the time I did the fourth tree, I did the sewing machine part in under two minutes. I timed it. Ha!

  
Of course the sewing machine part is the easiest part.


Be careful that you don't poke a hole with the knitting needle when you use it to make the tree limbs stick out.

Be sure to press your stuffing into the tree limbs so they don't flop around like so.


See the scrap fabric I stuffed in there?

I have special knot-tying technique that I invented. Though I'm sure I'm not the only one to use it. It's hard to see in the picture, but pull some excess thread back through the needle so that when you make your next stitch, you will have a lot of thread sticking out where you would normally want it pulled all the way through.


Now you have thread on both sides, and you just tie a knot like the first part of tying your shoe, without the bow. Knot it three or four times to be thorough.

Did I explain that well?


Then you can add some beaded garland.


I just tied knots on the corners, not after every single bead.

Or you can add some jingle bell ornaments. Or maybe some button ornaments. But you would want to sew those on before you did everything else. Or leave it blank. That's cute too.


Are you making any gifts this year?

1 comment:

  1. Left over fleece makes GREAT stuffing, too. I like to use it when making toys for Tucker (my dog) because if he chews it open it makes much less of a mess than traditional stuffing.

    ReplyDelete