I'm on Etsy!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cable Pattern Ear Warmer Pattern and Picture Cable Tutorial

I made this ear warmer last year. I'm pretty sure I made up the pattern, but I can't quite remember. It is not actually unique, so it doesn't really matter.


If you haven't tried a cable pattern before, it is much simpler than it looks. At least, I had thought it would be very complicated.


Why is that ear warmer in the Christmas tree? It must want you to make one as a Christmas present. After all, you do have a drawer full of yarn, and this project is perfect for a smallish bit of leftover yarn.

I love the tiny bits of blue in this yarn.

A much more adorable model has volunteered, but he "doesn't want to smile." Perhaps because ear warmers are for girls?

"I want to smile! I want to smile!"

You're going to need a dooflobby.

Dooflobby. I'm sure this little tool has a real name. And yet, I don't feel motivated to look it up.

But you can make your own with a paperclip.

Ear Warmer Pattern:

Use mediumish yarn and mediumish needles. It doesn't matter too much, because you can use your own head to measure how long it should be.

Cast on 24 stitches.
Row 1: Knit 3, purl 3, knit 3, purl 6, knit 3, purl 3, knit 3.
Row 2: Knit 6, purl 3, knit 6, purl 3, knit 6.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 until the 8th row.
Row 8: (The right side should be facing you).Knit 6, purl 3,
(Follow the pictures for the instructions to the rest of row 8).


Slip your dooflobby onto the next three stitches.

Keep the three stitches on the dooflobby and pull it off your needle.

Ignore the dooflobby like I ignore the laundry and knit the next three stitches.

Slip the dooflobby with the three stitches back onto the left needle.

Pull the dooflobby off, leaving the three stitches on the needle. Knit 3, purl 3, knit 6 to finish row 8.

It will look like this, except that I have finished more than eight rows.

Repeat the 8 rows until the ear warmer is long enough to go around your head without being too tight or too loose. Bind it off and either sew or crochet the ends together.

Have you done a cable pattern before?

2 comments:

  1. this is really awesome and I am going to make one. just to let you know, its called a cable needle. Mine looks like a candy cane through, so yours may be different. It's also spelled "purl" I think (although, I may have been spelling it wrong myself all my life, who knows?)

    But I love this! It looks really comfy and easy to make and fun and will be my second cable project :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Of course it is purl. What was I thinking? I forgot because it is usually abbreviated to just p. Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it. I do like things to spelled right. :)
      I'm so glad you're going to make one! I would love to see a picture when you're done.

      Delete