I'm on Etsy!

Saturday, February 15, 2014

I Have A Problem With Exercise

There's something that bothers me about exercise. I mean besides the fact that it is "hard" and makes me "feel horrible". The reason that we need exercise is that we have all of these machines that make our lives easier and we no longer get exercise because of the work we have to do. We used to have to walk wherever we went, grow/hunt/gather our own food, cut firewood, etc.  It bothers me that when we exercise, we are not accomplishing anything, other than making ourselves healthier. (And when I say "we", I am talking about those of you who actually do exercise, as this does not generally include me).

I like the sort of exercise that accomplishes physical work like shoveling snow, working in the garden, painting walls, and fixing things. I like feeling like I've accomplished something. If I ride a bike, I prefer to have arrived at a destination, and not just having ridden my bike in order to be healthy. Or if you are going to ride a stationary bike, wouldn't it be great if it at least generated electricity? What if our computers ran on bike power, and if we stopped, our computers would turn off? I would be so healthy.

I guess I'm saying that I need more motivation, more rewards than just health itself. 

My dream is to buy a distressed house at auction and spend my time fixing it up, in order to either rent it out or sell it at a profit. I'm not sure if it'll work out, but I figure that will be great exercise, and create an income at the same time. Right now, I need to save up some money and I'm waiting for my youngest to be in school. I don't really want to get a regular job. I want to be home when my kids get home from school, and I want to be able to stay home with them if they're sick, or have a snow day, and I want to be able to chaperone their field trips and help in their class rooms. A regular old part time job that would allow me to be home with the kids after school wouldn't pay very much, and certainly wouldn't be as flexible as I want it to be.

Maybe there should be a gym alternative where instead of paying a monthly fee, you could volunteer and accomplish things such as ... I'm not sure what. Do you have any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. That gym alternative sounds amazing! I've had many of these same thoughts!

    ReplyDelete