I'm on Etsy!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Super Secret "Get Out Of Debt" Trick That Doctors Don't Want You To Know About


I'm just kidding. There's no trick.

There's only two ways to get out of debt:
1. Make more money.
2. Spend less money.

If you are going to get out of debt, you are either going to sacrifice by working more, or sacrifice by cutting things out of your budget that you didn't think you could live without.

If you do not make sacrifices, you are going to continue plodding along, dragging your debt behind you, paying interest, and never getting ahead.

Here are some things that you CAN live without:

1. If you are renting, you can move. You can find a cheaper place, or you can get a roommate. 
2. You do not have to have cable. You can get Netflix for $9/month, or free TV for $0/month, or you can be really productive and stop watching TV altogether. I'm not about to stop watching TV, but if you do, I will admire the stuffing out of you. 
3. You can spend less on haircuts by having your wife/friend cut your hair, or if you are a woman, such as I happen to be, you can grow your hair longer, and you will hardly ever need to get it cut.
4. If you are willing to limit your cell phone use, you can read about a great plan through Ting Mobile here. You can cut your bill by about 80%, but you have to be willing to cut back on your usage.
5. You can sell your car and get a real clunker so you don't have car payments anymore. You are way too worried that an old car won't be reliable. It will be. And it's temporary. Is biking an option for you? (You would be sooo healthy!) Is sharing a car with your spouse or public transit an option for you?
6. You probably have enough clothes to last you for a while. Only buy something that you absolutely need while you are getting out of debt.
7. Remember 1995? Maybe you don't. Was that really 19 years ago? We were fine without the internet. (Mom, what was it like to be born before the internet?) We all know we would get more done without it. I'm not giving it up, because my house is my only debt, (and also because I'm weak), but I would be super proud of you if you did! The library has free internet for when you really need it. Also, free books! My favorite! Rabbit trail: One time my brother came to visit and saw a library book in our house and asked if I stole it from the library. "Actually, they are giving them away for free!" is what I had to say about that.
8. You don't need to eat in restaurants. At least, not as often as you are.

If you are thinking of all the reasons why you can not sacrifice those things (and other things), then you are always going to be in debt. You are never going to win. And I cannot help you.

6 comments:

  1. This is great advice!! I wish I knew all this stuff back when I was 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to tell all of the 18 year olds! If anyone knows any 18 year olds, maybe you can share my blog with them.

      Delete
  2. What a great post filled with practical advise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great post and I couldn't agree more! So many people say that they "can't" get out of debt, but what they really mean is that they're not willing to sacrifice what they need to sacrifice to get there. Love this!
    Kelly @ View Along the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you read it. I love your blog!

      Delete