I'm on Etsy!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Glass Etching

My cousin is getting married and last weekend we went to her wedding shower. They had some great decorating ideas.





Those are mints!
I was pretty excited about one of the presents I got her. I got her a Pyrex dish, and I used glass etching to put her name on the side. Glass etching is a chemical that eats away at the glass to create a foggy surface. I liked it so much, I decided to make one for myself using a dish I already had. You just put on the letter stickers and mark out the edge with tape. Use something like a fork to press the tape and the stickers down so you get a smooth edge.


Wear gloves, go outside (because of the smell), and liberally apply glass etching cream with a cheap foam brush that you will throw away. I used this kind. I think it was about $6. Kind of expensive for a little bottle.

The directions say to leave it on for one minute. But I found that to be completely inefficient. Fifteen minutes is just about right. Rinse it off with warm water. Throw your sink away because you just poured acid in there. Gross. If you have a ceramic sink, you probably aren't supposed to pour armour etch in there. 

I was almost out of armour etch when I made my dish, so it didn't go on as thickly as I would have liked. There are a few bald spots, but I'm still happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment